HISTORY OF THE OKLAHOMA CAMERA CLUB, INC.
Founded: 1931 – Incorporated: 1971
Written by: Douglas M. Finch, APSA
Originally Published: May 2005, *Revised: June 2007
Original Work by: Gilbert Hill, FPSA Published Date Unknown
This effort to record the wonderful history of the Oklahoma Camera Club is to honor and continue the work of one of our former members, Gilbert Hill, FPSA, who gave more to the club than any current member can recount. Gilbert, a gifted photographer, and writer, left many memories for the club having started the recording of the club’s history in the Yearbook, updated with each new edition. His words are an integral part of this narrative and formed the foundation for this work. His approach to judging photographic work was published following a program on the subject which was only one of his many programs for the club.
The club’s Yearbook contains years of club history with the listing of the past presidents beginning with the first in 1931, the recipients of the club’s highest award, the MacArthur Memorial Award, first presented in 1963, and the Past Exhibition Chairmen beginning with Gilbert Hill, FPSA, in 1962. Everywhere you look within the club’s activities and long history, you will find the recognizable imprint of this long-time member and wonderful photographer, Gilbert Hill, FPSA.
Douglas M. Finch, APSA
Photography, a fascinating blend of art and science, has intrigued people ever since its’ inception. You may enjoy watching the image gradually emerge on the photographic emulsion beneath your hands in the dim red glow of the darkroom, much like our original seven members in 1931. Or, perhaps you’re fascinated as the image quickly appears on the computer screen in all the bright array of colors we have become accustomed to with today’s high technology. However you enjoy photography, the Oklahoma Camera Club (OCC) welcomes you and looks forward to learning and having fun together.
The OCC supports each member’s efforts to improve their photographic skills with enjoyable club meetings twice monthly with competition, programs, and fellowship. Workshops and field trips provide additional learning opportunities. The Club has experienced quite a learning curve, having moved from the original black and white technology to color slides, color prints, and on to digital. The Club has responded with divisions of competition as the technology emerged. Early on, the special interest area of Nature was recognized by adding a separate division of competition and, in 1975, a separate class for Photo-Journalism competition was added. Others have come and gone with Electronic Images being added in 2006. You can expect the various divisions and workshops to continue to evolve as the interest of the club members changes over time.
The OCC is open to one and all, admirers of photographic art and avid photographers, amateurs and professionals, students and teachers, the young and the more mature. Whether you’re intrigued by the darkroom chemistry of the past or the digital technology of today, welcome, we’re pleased to have you join us as a member of the Oklahoma Camera Club. Come celebrate the Club’s 75th year anniversary as we look forward to the next 25 years of learning, growth, and exploring opportunities for continued service to the community.
In the Beginning
The Oklahoma Camera Club was started in October 1931 by seven photographers, amateur and professional, who met at the Oklahoma City YMCA to consider forming a camera Club. The founders wanted to advance their knowledge of photography through fellowship and sharing of information and skills; at that time photography was joining the recognized art world. Soon members were gaining knowledge of this unique combination of science and art and becoming more aggressive, reaching out and finding more and better pictures. Members quickly became valuable assets to the local community including the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce.
Members sought the fellowship of those with mutual interests, from all walks of life, but in the beginning, only men were invited. As there were only a few, they met in the members’ homes, spread their prints on the dining room table, and picked the winners. At that time, the prints were black and white and most were 5 x 7. The Club continues to promote competition as the way to learn and improve one’s photographic skills, fostering equal competition through the use of classes ranging from the beginner to the more experienced.
The Club took itself seriously. A prospective new member was required to attend several meetings consecutively before he might be invited to join. But first, he was asked to submit a list of camera equipment owned and indicate a desire to participate in a photo competition. The votes were in secret and a single “no” meant he could not join that select company. Dues were paid monthly and every meeting ended with the call, “Does anyone want to see the treasurer?”
As the Club grew in size and achievements, other small Clubs were forming with many looking towards the Oklahoma Camera Club as the “big group;” some of these including the Southwestern Bell Club, the OG&E Club, and the O-T Club (Oklahoman and Times) eventually elected to join ranks with the OCC. The O-T Club brought in a number of members including three who eventually served as presidents, Mel Woodbury, U. Joseph Brown, and Gilbert Hill.
Open to All
Our club was born during the business depression and survived the dust storms of the “dirty thirties.” Similar to the rest of America, the Club called on the women to preserve it during World War II as they took on ever-increasing responsibilities. This eventually led to Georgia Venk, FPSA, becoming the first woman President in 1976, and Louise Hill, FPSA, succeeding her in 1977. As of today, eight women have been president with the most recent being Mary Early in 2004 succeeded by Jaci Finch, APSA, in 2005. The Club is now looking forward to the leadership of Jan Lee beginning in 2007.
Today, the Club continues to be open to one and all who express an interest in photography, from the admirer of photographic art to the professional photographer. Quite contrary to the original secret ballot, in 2006 the Club opened membership by placing an application on the Club’s website where new members can join and then pay their dues through PayPal; the Club continues to be the place where anyone who has an interest in photography may come to learn the art and science of photography and serve the needs of the community.
The year 1959 brought another “turning point” in Club history; the Club initiated a new concept of club operation by Executive Committee (Board), a new constitution, and a new sense of civic responsibility for making worthwhile exhibits available for public viewing. These changes provided the needed organization and mission to later support the formation of an incorporated organization. So, in 1971, our forty-year-old club became a corporation, the Oklahoma Camera Club, Inc. Today, the Club is exploring the opportunities of filing for reorganization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code offering additional opportunities for public service along with tax incentives.
The Club received a gift of $1000 in 1981 from the estate of member George Fiellin. Ed Lamb, a member of the Board in 1982-83, suggested using this gift to establish the “Oklahoma Camera Club Gift and Endowment Fund” to provide a “means of receiving and administering gifts and bequests.” Later, Cecil Nicholas left the Club royalties from oil leases which the Club continues to receive today. The Club’s investments have continued to grow from the generosity of many members and the surplus monies earned from conducting an Exhibition each year.
Meeting Nights and Location
Quickly becoming too large for meeting in members’ homes, the Club moved to larger, more suitable locations. The earlier locations have long been forgotten. Members do remember meeting at the All Souls Episcopal Church (Pennsylvania & NW 63rd) as early as 1958. In 1962 the Club moved to the Oklahoma Science and Arts Foundation Building on the State Fair Grounds and in 1976 moved to Grace Methodist Church (NW 63rd and NW Expressway). Sometime later, the meetings were moved to the YWCA, Gaylord Community Center; there may have been other interim locations that have long been forgotten as well.
Early in the club year 2005, the “Y” needed the meeting space for expansion of their activities and requested the Club to move with little time to find a suitable meeting accommodation. Fortunately, the Club found a place at the Central Presbyterian Church located at NW 50th Street and N. May Ave. Perhaps of greater significance, along with the change in location, for the first time members can remember, the meeting nights had to be changed from the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month to the second and fourth Tuesdays. Members had long forgotten a meeting time other than Wednesday night.
The OCC participated in the organization of the Photographic Society of America (PSA), located in Philadelphia, by becoming a “charter member” in 1934. The Club was only three years old. C. T. Baker, an early Club president, attended the 1946 National PSA convention in Rochester, NY, and came back with the next year’s meeting (1947), the first PSA International Convention west of the Mississippi. The OCC conducted another successful International Convention in 1968, along with two exhibitions in one year, the Oklahoma International Exhibition of Photography and the PSA International. The Club continues to be an avid supporter and member of PSA.
Oklahoma Chapter of PSA
In 1971, following the sponsorship of two international exhibitions and an international convention in 1968, club directors sponsored the organization of the Oklahoma Chapter of PSA. The Chapter grew to include more than 140 PSA members from all over the state. Today, with the number of clubs and PSA members in Oklahoma declining, the Chapter no longer exists.
PSA Headquarters, OKC
Proposals for moving the PSA headquarters from Philadelphia began to surface years ago as the operating cost continued to rise along with travel and lodging costs, making travel for officers difficult. Clark Hogan, FPSA, Dr. Ralph Venk, FPSA, and Gilbert Hill, FPSA, among others, became consistent advocates of Oklahoma City as the logical “central location” with a strong and active supporting “home club.”
When Clark Hogan, FPSA, resigned as division vice-president and a member of the executive committee of PSA after many years of service, the Club retained an Executive Committee spot when Dr. Ralph Venk, FPSA, became Vice President of Conventions and served for 10 years. Paul Freeland, APSA, served as chairman of the Pictorial Division of PSA, and Gilbert Hill retained club representation on the PSA Public Relations Committee.
In 1986, Dr. Ralph E. Venk, Honorary FPSA, was asked to assume the position of Executive Vice President of PSA when a vacancy occurred. That entailed a number of days visiting the headquarters in Philadelphia and a growing feeling of the need for better office facilities and more efficient management of the headquarters’ operation. Dr. Venk became President of PSA in 1987. Shortly thereafter, the move to Oklahoma City was approved by the PSA Executive Committee and the Board of Directors; the actual move occurred in February 1988. PSA continues to serve the photographic community from their office space in the Center 3000 Building in NW Oklahoma City.
PSA Membership & Honors
Approximately forty percent of the OCC members hold individual membership in PSA and a number of members have been recognized for outstanding service to PSA. Dr.Ralph Venk received the most recent recognition with the “Honorary FPSA” (Fellow Member of the PSA) the highest award given by PSA, there have been only 32 previous recipients in the 72-year history of PSA (2006) and Ralph is number 33. Other existing members holding PSA recognition include Georgia Venk with the “FPSA” honor and Jaci & Doug Finch, Betty Patterson, and Charles Taylor with the honor of “APSA.”
Early in the Club’s history, the OCC began to attract attention both locally and on a worldwide basis. Merwin Eberle, Club President 1932-33 and a newspaper reporter, won the top honor in the Royal Photographic Salon in London. By 1956 changes were paying off for the Club in international competitions that produced 5 members in the top 100 Monochrome exhibitors of the world, and by 1966 there were 19 members recognized internationally as exhibitors in “Who’s Who in Photography.”
Club members continue to be recognized for outstanding performance in competition around the world. Darrell McClanahan received recognition by PSA with the award of PPSA (Proficiency) in November 2002 for “outstanding achievement in international exhibitions of the Color Slide Division, the Nature Division, the Monochrome Print Division, the Color Print Division, and the Photojournalism Division.” Darrell earned 10 stars in these 5 divisions to receive this recognition.
Dennis Corbin was recognized by PSA in 2002 for accumulating 15 stars within a five-year period. This included 321 acceptances, the maximum awarded to one individual in 2002. Dennis earned 210 acceptances in 2003 and received the recognition of PPSA in 2004 for this outstanding success in international exhibitions.
Michael Mayberry received 320 acceptances in 2003 at the age of 13, our youngest club member at that time. Michael served as a photographer for his school’s yearbook and in 2004; he was voted “Outstanding Photographer” for the yearbook staff. Also in 2004, he was invited to submit photos to PSA’s Master’s Gallery.
Betty Patterson, APSA, and Tom, and Carol McCreary received their PPSA recognitions most recently (2006) for performance in PSA competitions. Betty qualified with two 5- star ratings, Nature Slides, and Color Slides. A fellow member, Darrell McClanahan, PPSA, quietly submitted Betty’s application so the presentation came as a total surprise to Betty during a club meeting along with a number of PSA Journals Darrell had collected in her name. Tom and Carol qualified with a total of 10 stars across several classes of competition and were honored with the PPSA recognition.
Indian Dancer Logo
The advertising logo for the 1968 PSA convention was the “Indian Dancer” print by Gilbert Hill, FPSA. The picture, a high-contrast version of a photograph made at an Anadarko “powwow,” became the official club logo by the action of the Board the same year. The Club continues to proudly display this logo today.
In 1958, the OCC became a member of the Gulf States Camera Club Council (GSCCC). This is an organization of camera Clubs from the states of Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and New Mexico. There have been three GSCCC conventions in OKC, the first was in the early ’60s at the Huckins Hotel. The second convention occurred in 1992 with Ralph and Georgia Venk, FPSA as co-chairpersons; the third was chaired by David Holder, who became president of Gulf States in 2001-2002. The Club maintains an active representation today with Ed Lamb serving as a director of GSCCC.
The MacArthur Award
Fred MacArthur, who passed on in 1957, was a guiding light for the Club, the man who often provided a little money to the struggling organization when needed. One of the big attractions of membership was the discount he offered to active club members at his store, the Oklahoma Photo Supply. Today, the Club recognizes members who provide significant service at the annual banquet with the “MacArthur Award.” The Club Yearbook contains a list of members who have been recognized since the award’s inception in 1963.
The Club has often served as the stepping stone into the professional ranks for many of its members. Gene Johnson, one of the early members of the Club, found his life’s work in the OCC later joining the Eastman Kodak Company. Many club members find part-time work in the field of photography and many work full time. Gilbert Hill, FPSA, one of the early members of the Club, worked professionally as a photojournalist with the Oklahoman newspaper.
Charlotte Mansfield joined the Club in 1963 and has been an active member ever since. She has always had a fascination with photography and pursued it in college. When WWII came along Charlotte enlisted in the WAAC (Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps) and was sent to Photo School at Lowery Field, Denver, CO with the first group of women assigned to the photographic field. After the war, she reenlisted in the Army/Air Corps as a WAC (Women’s Army Corps) and was again in the photo labs from Maxwell Field, AL to England and Germany. During the 1970”s Charlotte competed in print competitions while stationed in Germany. She would send her 16×20 prints to another club member, Harriet Ehrlich, who handled her prints at the club meetings, shipping them back to her in Germany. Charlotte has walls and boxes full of Air Force, OCC, PSA, and the Gulf States awards for her work.
Another member, Joe Aker, 18 years old and unable to find an avenue into the professional ranks of photography, was introduced to Charlotte Mansfield by a long-time friend, Charles Hunt, owner of the Oklahoma Photo Supply. Charles had purchased the store after Fred MacArthur’s death in1957. Charlotte took Joe to a meeting of the OCC and introduced him to the members who were more than willing to help. After five years in the Club, Joe went to the Army for two years and, on his return, club member Gilbert Hill, FPSA, helped find him a job with the Oklahoma Publishing Company. Three years later, with the encouragement of club members like Dr. Ralph Venk, FPSA, Joe headed to RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) to study commercial photography. Building on the knowledge and experience gained with the OCC, Joe graduated with honors and ended up in Houston, TX, specializing in Architectural Photography. Today, he is one of the top Architectural Photographers in the world and his assignments have taken him from Russia to Europe to South America. He credits much of his ability and eye for composition to many of the early club members like Ralph and Georgia Venk, FPSA, Clark and Edith Hogan, Gilbert and Louise Hill, Charlotte Mansfield, Dr. Jack McKecknie, Jay Rider, and Clayton Soule. They took a young man with a lust for photography and turned him into a top professional, highly recognized in his field. In 2005, Joe returned to OKC to participate in the Winter Seminar which the Club and the International Photography Hall of Fame sponsored.
Gaylord Younghein retired from the FAA at the end of 1980 and found his second career in photography. He taught advanced photo classes at Francis Tuttle Vo-Tech for 19 years. Gaylord also taught hands-on “Art of Light” photography to about 4000 students all over Oklahoma public schools in makeshift darkrooms. He was sponsored by the Oklahoma Arts Council in their Artist-In-Residence Program where he established darkrooms and instructional programs in four Oklahoma prisons over a period of 15 years. One of the prisons still has the sophisticated darkroom in use today (2005). Gaylord’s later teaching activities were for outpatients at the OKC Veteran’s Affairs Hospital over a period of four years and for OCC members in his home.
In recognition of all Gaylord accomplished in the area of community service, the Club established an award to be given in his name called the “Younghein Award” for Community Service. Gaylord received the first trophy for this award at the annual year-end banquet in June 2005.
The “field trip” idea was born quite early in the Club’s history with most of the beginning activity centering on Sulfur, Oklahoma. Oklahoma has been well documented by a number of the more successful nature photographers such as Jerry and Betty Patterson, APSA’s, Pat McIntyre, and Shirley Alexander. There have been a number of in-state and inter-state picture-taking trips with auto caravans and out-of-state bus trips; some of the longest trips have been the Nature group’s sojourns to Colorado in 1985 and to Yosemite several years later. With the assistance of Ed Lamb, Colorado became the point of interest for a group of club members who made trips in 1995 and then annually from 1997 through 1999.
More recently, in 2003, Jan and Wally Lee gathered a number of club members to visit the Smoky Mountains joining members of other clubs from the mid-west on a highly successful field trip, and again with larger OCC groups in subsequent years. This has now become an annual event to look forward to.
Charles Taylor, APSA, and John R. Key began traveling about and taking pictures in 2004 providing trail reports from their hotel rooms at night. Taylor, a prolific writer, documents each of their trips with an enjoyable narrative of the adventure, beautifully illustrated with his photographs. Charles and John followed the Lewis and Clark Expedition in 2004 producing a colorful digital program for the Club. Then they put together an expedition of their own, a six-week sojourn north through Canada on the road to Alaska, eventually arriving at the Arctic Circle; they returned with enough material for several programs. In 2006, they recruited two additional club members, Wally Lee and Doug Finch, APSA, to join them as they ventured into Arizona and the Grand Canyon in 2006. Charles and John continue to take one or more trips a year, inviting any and all club members to join them.
Along with the field trips came the formation of “workshops” in 1957 to improve teaching, photographic progress, and fellowship in smaller groups. While the number and focus of the workshops vary over the years, the Club continues to form workshops focused on specific areas of photographic interest; the two most recent being Ed Lamb’s “Photography 101” to assist new members and beginning photographers and “Photoshop” by Tom and Carol McCreary, PPSA’s, studying electronic imaging and digital manipulation.
Many of our older members may remember the “Salon Workshop” originally meeting at the home of Clark and Edith Hogan, FPSA’s; probably started in the mid 1950s, the exact date has been lost. This workshop met to discuss and critique slides and prints by members in preparation for their entering into exhibitions around the world and was likely one of the earlier workshops formed. Some of the major participants were Jay Rider, FPSA, Russ Fetters, Dr. Ralph Venk, Honorary FPSA, Ruth & Elmer Dennis, Gilbert and Louise Hill, FPSA’s, Bud Gardner, and Dr. Martin Ausmus, APSA. After the Hogan’s were unable to continue, Gilbert and Louise Hill hosted the meeting for many years until they were unable to continue, probably sometime around 1985, it has not been active since. The Salon Workshop developed many of the Club’s avid salon competitors as well as recognized club photographers. It also managed the Club’s inter-club competition in pictorial print and slide competitions for its many years of operation.
The Nature Workshop, led by Dr. H. V. L. Sapper in the early ’60s, continues today under the leadership of Darrell McClanahan, PPSA, and his wife Peggy. Darrell and Peggy picked up the reins from Mary and Allen Burgess who had managed the workshop for a number of years. Comprised of skilled nature photographers and naturalists, they frequently sponsor field trips around the state and to parks and wildlife preserves in neighboring states. Betty Patterson, APSA, PPSA, a long-time active member of this group, became recognized as one of the leading experts in photographing Oklahoma wildflowers, making slide presentations to various civic clubs and groups around the state.
Changes in Technology
The technology challenges began early, initially between “big camera” and “miniature” with a miniature being anything under 4 x 5. A young man named Gene Johnson, an OU chemistry student, carried it to the extreme by making 16 x 20 prints from his 16mm and dared C. T. Baker, a 4 x 5 photographer and one of the nation’s most prolific salon exhibitor at that time, to beat him. Today the technology continues to change with the current challenge being digital vs. film, i.e., mega-pixels vs. fine-grain. Members became aware of the quality possible from digital printing in 1995 when John R. Key, vice president at the time, quietly entered a computer-produced print of a “crane” (the bird) in a color print competition. When it placed second, he confessed and withdrew the entry having accomplished his personal mission. Computer-produced prints were shortly added to the print competition.
In 2003, Charles Taylor, APSA, started bringing the new technology to the club members in “down to earth” terms and presented with “Oklahoma humor,” a program looked forward to by all members. In 2007, Carol McCreary, PPSA, organized a beginning Photoshop class to aid club and community members in understanding and applying the technology.
Competition has been the key to the Club’s learning process beginning with the seven photographers laying their prints on the table for viewing. As club print competition has grown, the Club developed classes for members to compete in an effort to maintain equal competition. A two-class competition was expanded in 1959 by adding an “exhibitors class,” perhaps the first time a single club had enough salon exhibitors to justify a special class in club competition. This idea was refined into three classes in 1960, a significant change since the Club’s founding in 1931. Over time the number of print classes has varied dropping back to two and one with the change in interest and competing media such as slides and with the changing club membership. The Club returned to three classes for prints in 2004 as the number of printmakers grows with the use of Photoshop and other computer graphic programs.
Originally, when color came as slides, the Club was ready. It set up a special division for slide competition and arranged for special programs. When color arrived as prints, the Club established one of the few regular color print competitions in the nation. Similarly, as interest in Nature photography grew, first with “assigned” competitions, another division was established for nature photography. In 1975, another diversity of interest was encouraged with assigned competition in photojournalism that also led to a new separate competition. In a similar fashion, the Club elected to try adding a photo travel division in 2002 for all of the members who enjoy traveling with their cameras, particularly those making trips out of the country. Electronic image quarterly competition was added in 2004-05.
Projected electronic images became part of the regular monthly club competition in 2006 being grouped with color slide competition; projected images were also added to Nature and Photojournalism slide classes The projected image competition is conducted in two classes, Projected Images, Open, and Projected Images, Creative. The number of slide makers declined significantly following the acceptance of computer-produced prints as part of the print competition, reducing the number of color slide classes from three to one; the addition of projected electronic images promises to revive the projected image competition.
The Club initiated another significant change in club competition beginning with the new year in 2006. In an effort to provide a more relaxed meeting atmosphere, the Club divided the competition, conducting the Print Competition the first meeting night of the month and Projected Images the second meeting night of the month; a dramatic change in the routine that had taken place every meeting night for as long as any member can remember.
In 1958, the Club began monthly “one-man shows” for patients and visitors at the Oklahoma Medical Center. That program expanded, not only with exhibits but as slide shows to take photographic art to shut-ins. Over the years a number of different service programs have come and gone as the Club strives to find ways to share our art with and in support of the local community.
The Club joined with the International Photography Hall of Fame in conducting the “Winter Seminar” in late January of each year. This originated from an idea by club member Joe Spence in 1999 and was successful in attracting photographers from around the state for a day of programs and a camera show. The IPHF elected to go it alone in 2006.
One of the most successful services the Club has conducted is the “Youth Photography Contest” open to high school students state-wide. Carol McCreary accepted responsibility for directing this event in 2003 and has sponsored it since. In 2005, the Club gave out $800 in prizes to the students. We have had as many as 77 students enter representing 25 high schools from around the state and one homeschooled student. The Club sponsors the winners of the local contest in PSA’s “National Youth Photography Contest.” In 2005, the Daily Oklahoman recognized Carol’s efforts in conducting the contest with a gift of $500 to the OCC which Carol used in promoting the contest.
In March 2006, Wally Lee arranged two club displays of 7 and 10 prints at the two Gourmet Deli’s, 72nd and N. Western, and on Memorial, just east of Portland. These displays continue to hang with Wally making periodic changes in the prints. In June 2006, Wally arranged to hang 29 prints by 14 members at the Edmond Fine Arts Institute for two months. This display moved to Touchmark at Coffee Creek, a retirement community. Members are encouraged to participate and challenged to find locations interested in hanging the Club’s photographic art.
An early association with the State Fair to produce photo exhibits expanded with the Club having a small exhibit on display during the Fair. This likely formed the foundation leading to the State Fair becoming the primary sponsor of the Oklahoma International Exhibition of Photography in 1962, the exhibition that our members commonly refer to as “The Salon.” This provided the opportunity for the Club to revive the exhibition which had been first tried in 1946. The Fair sponsored the Exhibition for 40 years. Photographers, both amateur and professional, representing over 30 countries, submit approximately 3000 prints and slides to be judged in Oklahoma City. This judging produces an exhibit of about 400 prints and 700 slides which was a popular attraction to all during the annual State Fair of Oklahoma. It was seen by upwards of 10,000 visitors and was the major source for attracting new club members. Paul Dye introduced the Peoples Choice Award in 1991 which became a big hit; visitors were able to vote on their favorite print. In 2002 the State Fair changed managers and the sponsorship ended.
In 2003 and 2004 the Exhibition continued with the prints exhibited at the Omniplex. In 2005 and 2006, a number of the award-winning prints were shown at the Oklahoma City Downtown Library. The accepted prints and slides continue to be shown during OCC meetings and have also been shared with the Metro Camera Club. We are currently seeking a permanent sponsor.
The 2007 Exhibition witnessed a significant change in competition with the addition of projected Electronic Images (EI) to the Color Slide Division. While the overall number of entries in the Exhibition declined, the Color Slide Division experienced an increase compared with the previous year. With their ease of entering, EI promises to bring a significant change to international competitions. PSA has renamed the “Color Slide” competition the “Color Projected Images.”
Effective communication represents the lifeblood of an organization’s continued and successful existence. The “Hypocheck,” the Club’s monthly newsletter, has long served this function. Assuming the editors have properly noted the change in “Volume Number” with the change in the year, the Club published the first “Hypocheck” sometime in 1944. In any event, today it is just expected and relied upon. Originally, the Hypocheck was typed, cut and pasted, photographed, printed, folded, and mailed to each member. Today, using software for both the narrative and graphics followed by electronic distribution, it continues to serve as the primary communication source for the Club with Carol McCreary, PPSA, serving as editor since the club year 2002-3.
The Individual Photographer
The Club experienced its most rapid growth in history in 1972-73 ending the year with 194 names on the official roster and at one time passed the 200 figure. Much of the growth could be traced to wider service such as the appearance of Paul Yarrows, FPSA, from Rochester NY, for a two-day school sponsored by the Club. Another surge of photographic interest and club membership came in 1977 with a one-day public photographic seminar, “The Photique,” conducted by John Paul, APSA, and Patricia Murphy, APSA, of Rochester NY. The year 1982-83 brought more changes designed to meet the needs of the individual photographer. The “Senior Inactive” membership was approved for members no longer able to participate but still desiring to keep their membership with the Club. In 1982, Clayton Soule became the first and only 50-year member, having joined the Club in 1932, one year after it was formed. The Club established the “Life Membership” recognizing Clayton’s 50 years of service. A few members may remember Clayton calling out the scores during the judging at all club meetings. The 50 years was later lowered to 35 years. Today, the list of special memberships has been expanded to include Student, Non- resident, and Honorary. The individual member has always been the major concern of the Club and we strive to find new ways to make new members feel more welcome and to encourage all members to participate in photographic activities and to recognize their achievements. The country will long remember the bombing in Oklahoma City of the Federal Building on April 19, 1995. Likewise, the Club will always remember this day for the loss of a long-time friend and active club member, Dave Burkett. Dave was a vice president in line to assume the responsibilities for President within a couple of months, leading the Club the following year. The Club recognized Dave with a bronze plaque on the Wall of Honor at the IPHF. A highlight of the holiday season has been the Christmas party initiated by the three ladies Charlotte Mansfield, Lorraine Caddy, and Irene Brown. Health forced Irene to drop out and in 2004, Charlotte and Lorraine continued the tradition by asking for a little help. It has been a great tradition and the three ladies are to be thanked for their many years of making Christmas so special. There have been storms and severe struggles to stay on course. With every struggle has come progress and good years with new hands to carry on an idea of service launched by the original seven, to bring pleasure and inspiration to hundreds who have come and gone and the scores who will follow. If you are interested in photography, no matter what area of interest or at what skill level, we welcome you and look forward to learning together.
Thank you for joining us.
Revised: June 2007